Saturday, December 29, 2012

Compartment of Helplessness


Is she a brave heart? I don't know. For all the praises heaped on her, all I realise is how helpless she must have been... How helpless she must have felt. 

What wrong did she do? She went to watch Life of Pi just like many of us had. She boarded a bus just like many of us do. She was unfortunate... I have not been so. That's the only difference. 

I am no brave heart. She is no brave heart either. We are individuals who enjoyed being with are loved ones. we loved Richard Parker. We do not need brave hearts. We need stronger laws, strong will of law enforcing agencies. 

We reap what we sow. We have become so self-centred in our lives that we are happy being in our own compartments. We have become so insensitive that we do not bother to douse the fire in the next compartment because it doesn't affect us. We are selfish. I am selfish.

We are helpless because we haven't helped ourselves. We wanted to become doctors and engineers... And not that our parents wanted us to be social service providers but only and only because, we and our parents wanted to live a good life. We became MBAs because we wanted a good future for our family. How many of us wanted to become a policeman or a teacher? I remember how my parents and friends looked at me when I said I wanted to become a police... The looks said it all and I thought it must be very wrong to become one. 

I did not become one. 

What I have become is a helpless individual who checks his anger and turns the other way round even when he sees something which made his blood boil when he was.a child, when he was in his teens. Why did I change? Where did I go wrong? Why am I no more the angry guy I used to be? 

I chose the easy life. I chose to lead a comfortable life. I chose to live a life of luxury within my compartment. But you don't live an entire life within the 4 walls...you can't survive on your own. Prayers don't suffice well being of you and your family and friends.

But then God is the sole consolation for helpless guys like us. I pray to HIM to give courage to the guy who accompanied the lady to Life of Pi, who accompanied her in boarding the bus. He must be as helpless as I am feeling today.

2 comments:

  1. This is one hell of a writing which is going to shake each one of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Komal, if only people get to read it... I am ashamed, shaken and I feel helpless.

    ReplyDelete